With a Workforce and Customer Base That’s Majority Women, Breast Cancer and Women’s Cancers are Issues Close to Many of Us.
As the world’s leading intimates retailer, supporting the health and well-being of women is paramount to our associates, our community and our business. One of the greatest threats to women’s health globally is cancer – the most common of which is breast cancer. That’s why we’re continuously committed to supporting and funding critical research, providing volunteer opportunities for our associates and building meaningful partnerships.
Victoria’s Secret Global Fund for Women’s Cancers
We established The Victoria’s Secret Global Fund for Women’s Cancers in partnership with longstanding partner, Pelotonia. With an initial commitment of $10 million to fund innovative research, this groundbreaking initiative will fund innovative research projects aimed at progressing treatments and cures for women’s cancers and investing in the next generation of women scientists who represent the diverse population they serve. Annual grants will be awarded to individual scientists or research “dream teams” who are collaborating across institutions.
Hear from Christy Tostevin, Senior Vice President of Communications and Community Relations at VS&Co, who shares more about this groundbreaking initiative and learn more about The Victoria’s Secret Global Fund for Women’s Cancers here.
Breast Cancer Support
In 2021, we introduced our first-ever bra to support the thousands of women who undergo mastectomies each year, The Body by Victoria Mastectomy. The Body by Victoria Mastectomy bra has a soft, comfortable design and pockets at the inner lining, allowing for prosthetic inserts.
In 2022, we’re launching two new pink shades for customers with plans to roll out Mastectomy Bra donations through our VS&Co Essentials Program both domestically and abroad in 2023.
Additionally, we’re working continuing our partnership with Susan G. Komen to help eliminate barriers to care for individuals and communities experiencing health inequalities. Our 2022 donation of $300,000 will support:
- Screening and diagnostic services for people who have insufficient health insurance coverage or no insurance at all
- Increased access to genetic counseling and testing services in historically marginalized communities
- Education around risk factors, screening guidelines, and how to advocate for your health
We’re also providing support internationally with $25,000 donation to the Future Dreams Breast Cancer Charity, headquartered in London. This organization offers practical and emotional support to women across the U.K. Our contribution will help operate their Bra Room—a unique space where women post-surgery can speak to expert bra fitters about their needs—for an additional three days per month.
Additionally, we offer a variety of resources for associate to proactively advocate for their health through our benefits program including no cost preventative mammogram services within our medical plans. To further comfort and support of our associates during a cancer diagnosis, we offer resources to help associates get care and support through every step of their journey, including finding qualified in-network doctors, arranging second opinions, explaining treatment options and more.
For more than 20 years, we have invited associates and their guests to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events. We are proud to have donated millions of dollars to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the American Cancer Society to fund breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment.
We’ve also donated $21 million to innovative cancer research over the last 12 years through our partnership with Pelotonia. One hundred percent of funds raised for the Pelotonia community are invested in a variety of initiatives annually, summarized best by the following priorities:
- Enhanced Treatments and Therapies: Pelotonia dollars help attract and retain the best talent in cancer research to explore high-impact breakthroughs that make cancer treatment less toxic and more effective.
- The Next Generation of Research Talent: Pelotonia's Fellowship Program empowers young innovators across academic fields and disciplines to pursue a career in cancer research.
- Immuno-Oncology: Pelotonia pioneered a landmark investment to launch the Pelotonia Institute for Immuno-Oncology.
- Prevention and Early Diagnosis: Pelotonia funds initiatives that aim to save lives before cancer strikes through prevention and early detection methods.
We are proud of our associates’ participation, and we are equally proud to leverage our financial contributions with their volunteer efforts. Together, we hope to empower survivors and help find a cure.