Bennett & Company
Founded by Jacalyn E.S. Bennett, Bennett and Company has been a dedicated Victoria’s Secret & Co. partner for more than 35 years. Jacalyn’s progressive vision for a female-led conscious company grounded in philanthropic principles permeates the organization.
Bennett and Company’s corporate philosophy is rooted in sustainability. Committed in equal part to the economic, social and environmental approach to sustainability, the company demonstrates deep respect and support for their customers, employees, suppliers and communities. Dedication to human rights, environmental awareness and social responsibility are integrated into all levels of the global company.
Empowering and Protecting Women and Children
As a female-owned business and WBENC (Women's Business Enterprise National Council) certificate holder, owner Jacalyn Bennett dedication to the empowerment of women can be seen throughout the organization. Additionally, the production headquarters, John Stuart Bennett Manufacturing in mainland China, is wholly owned by Jacalyn Bennett. Bennett and Company proudly promotes female advancement and is actively engaged with community partners to protect the freedoms, safety and wellbeing of women and children across the globe.
Some examples include:
- Dedicated partner to the Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement in Sri Lanka for more than 30 years
- Corporate sponsor to Dr. Charika Maraginghe, PhD, of Sarvodaya & Child’s Rights Lawyer and Activist
- Charitable donor to the Sarvodaya Women’s Movement and the Vishnu Niketan Peace Center
- Jacalyn Bennett and her team volunteer at Suwasetha Sewa Society teaching painting and sewing courses to women with disabilities, victims of abuse/domestic violence and young mothers. The team also supports in the care and nurturing of orphaned babies and abandoned children
- Contributing donor to Jeanne Geiger Women’s Crisis Center in Amesbury, Mass. working to end domestic violence and providing support services for women and children
- Contributing donor to the Gerrish Breast Care Center at Anna Jaques Hospital, Newburyport, MA
- Sponsor, supporter and participant in “Women & Power” conference at Omega Institute Rhinebeck, NY
Providing Educational Opportunities
Bennett and Company is deeply committed to investing in youth and continuing education, and supports the schools, colleges and charitable organizations in all of its global communities. Support for these opportunities include:
- Scholarship opportunities for need-based students at Fashion Institute of Technology in NY and Northern Essex Community College in Haverhill, Mass.
- Charitable donor and 2018 Strong By Nature Award recipient by Merrohawke Nature School, a nonprofit organization serving youth of northern Massachusetts and beyond, whose mission is to guide learning in nature that inspires empathy, resilience, grit and a deep connection to the earth.
- Conceptualized and helped to set up and fund the youth sewing program at the Boys and Girls Club of Lower Merrimack Valley in Salisbury, Mass.; teaching local children ages 7 to 16 valuable skills in a safe environment
- High school and college level interns from 7 to 10 academic institutions in the greater Boston area; educating and exposing students to business of fashion from design/development through production planning and logistics.
- Manufacturing headquarters in Guangzhou, China invests in local youth by partnering with the Xinzao Vocational School Panyu Guangzhou
- Hosts 60-80 interns yearly introducing students to all aspects of the garment design, development, and manufacturing process through cross functional training with experienced Bennett staff
- Provides need-based scholarships to students pursuing fashion skills and training
- Donations to allow students the right books, materials and tools to succeed in the fashion industry
Promoting Mindfulness Education and Enrichment Opportunities
The holistic wellbeing of each Bennett and Company team member is a priority. Through art, music, mindfulness practices and non-traditional educational opportunities, team members are inspired to live more peaceful, contemplative lives and to create a positive ripple effect of kindness and compassion throughout the global community.
- Conceptualized, designed, and funded the Jacalyn Stuart Bennett Mindfulness and Wellness Space at the Nock Middle School in Newburyport, MA
- Conceptualized and collaborated with executive members of Anna Jaques Hospital to create a Mindfulness Space within the hospital for staff and patients
- Omega Institute Art Council board member, contributor, and participant sponsor; donor for over 35 years to their global community of educators and healers
- Jacalyn Bennett teaches Italian Renaissance landscape painting to classes of children and adults globally in China, Sri Lanka, Newburyport, MA, and Rhinebeck, NY
- Sponsor in-house enrichment courses for U.S.-based Bennett team members, including yoga, self-defense, stress management techniques, various lecture series, and CPR certification
Reducing our Footprint:
One of 20 rows in Garment Archive building
Partial arial view of Garment Archive building
- Maintain ongoing working garment archives spanning 35+ years, capturing Victoria’s Secret history.
- Leverage garment archives by upcycling to fit current global trends.
- Bennett Online Technology (BOLT), built in 1992 and updated with program enhancements monthly, was custom designed using Microsoft platform. BOLT captures all stages in the life of the garment, from design sketch to completed production; new styles are created using well-fitting ancestor styles.
- Extensive Textile archives utilize approved fabrics and trims, prints, create more efficiency in responding to customer needs, saving resources.
- Right First Time: prior to sample being made, styles are reviewed by Bennett team with over 150+ years of collective expertise, resulting sample represents Bennett Best Practices for customer review.
- Highly specialized and skilled sewers in factory allow for Bennett and Company to fulfill highest level of quality for Victoria’s Secret